Received the new Dream Air facepad - a little better, a little worse. Can the black border be removed?

I’ve been using it for a few days. I’m pretty comfortable with the original facepad though, which is unusual for me with a Pimax headset. With the 5k+ and 8KX, I had to heavily modify them. The 8KX was almost unusable in terms of PPD and clarity without major changes, like using the 5k+ gasket.

My initial thought was that it less comfortable, whereas I expected it to be better due to the flatter and wider area for your forehead. It seemed to be pressing harder, feeling stickier, and creating distracting pinch points around my nose and cheeks.

The FOV seemed slightly better, but wasn’t worth the increased discomfort. I thought I should try it for longer, and revert if no improvement.

Thankfully on subsequent tries, it has felt more comfortable. This may be a combination of getting used to it, and being less tired.

FOV and the black border in the headset - as I’ve always said coming from an 8KX, the border is very apparent. Surprisingly, the lack of horizontal FOV wasn’t as noticeable as the lack of vertical FOV, particularly at the bottom of the headset when trying to look down in a cockpit etc.

With the original facepad, the border is very sharp and defined. Feels like a rectangle with curved corners, like a scuba mask or an old analogue TV screen. With the new facepad, the border is slightly blurred now especially on the bottom vertical part, presumably due to being a little closer to the lenses than before.

Then, someone told me that they barely see the black border in their DA, unless they apply an FOV crop, which I certainly have never done :exploding_head: Really? I find that difficult to believe tbh.

For me it’s hugely prominent. I expect a border of some kind in most headsets, and assumed this was just the DA’s design with the OLED screens.

How do others find the DA border? Is it very prominent for you? I want to check that it’s normal and there isn’t something up with my headset now (or possibly just my face :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:).

Hi,

I recieved mine too.
Unfortunately, I tried it for a few hours, but have to go back to the studioform. This tier facepad is quite ugly, but largely more confortable than the new pimax one.
Very sad to arrive at this conclusion, but the material is still too hard and pressing too hard on the frontehead, even being larger than before.
I don’t undertand why the same meterial than the studioform has not be choosen.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming. I’m weighing up whether to get the studioform one. I’ve always used their stuff for previous headsets, but as I’m fairly comfortable at the moment, I haven’t decided yet.

However, if it would further eliminate the black border, that would be a reason to get one. Do you find the border very prominent with the studioform pad?

I don’t know if this is possible, but I’m still hoping Pimax might provide a profile that reduces the border further, presumably by increasing horizontal or vertical FOV. Vertical FOV is the one I want the most, as mentioned that’s the one I find most intrusive along the bottom.